The best policy is made together
Date posted: 28/01/2019
December 14, 2018 marked 100 years since women cast their first votes in a general election. The role of women in both making and influencing policy has seen much progress, but there is still a way to go. PolicyMogul wants to contribute to that journey, so we have decided to hold ourselves accountable on Twitter.
We believe the best policy is made when there is a level playing field of people and organisations involved in shaping it. That doesn’t just mean women, of course; the more people and organisations of different backgrounds and perspectives involved, the better.
With this in mind, we at PolicyMogul will be working on various initiatives designed to improve the representation of all individuals and organisations who (think they) lack the time, experience, connections or money to get involved.
Diversity within the political ranks has improved in recent times; since the June 2017 general election the percentage of women MPs in the UK parliament is at an all-time high. The same goes for representatives of the LGBTQ communities and those who are disabled and of varied religious and educational backgrounds.
For the best and fairest policy to be made, those involved in influencing parliamentarians’ stances on issues, whether directly or indirectly, must also make up a broad representation of people. These are just some of the ways that we – and you – can start to level the playing field:
- Educate people and organisations on why and how to get involved with policy
- Create more policy and public affairs roles for people from under-represented groups
- Celebrate success stories, however small (share them with us on Twitter or LinkedIn and we’ll happily celebrate them with you!)
- Involve other organisations in your policy work, to represent different perspectives
- If you have an opportunity to influence policy directly, this is your chance to create change – seek out various opinions on the specific issues
Over the coming months, you will see how we intend to contribute to this important journey, in order to achieve our mission of helping organisations and lawmakers make better policy.
If you would like to be kept up-to-date on our ideas, initiatives and achievements, subscribe to our newsletter below.